Session 1: TAX UPDATE – September 07
> Tax changes from April 2022 Federal Budget
- New reporting and disclosure rules.
- Substantive CCPCs and implications.
- Principal residence flips.
- Green technology corporate tax breaks.
- Restricted interest expense.
- Hybrid transactions.
- International changes.
- Seniors and home renovation.
> New T1134 Form
- Brief look at the new form.
> Case Law (Supreme Court)
- Alta Energy and tax avoidance.
- Collins Family Trust and undoing mistakes.
> CRA Update
- CRA can ask oral questions so watch out!.
- CRA audit targets.
Session 2: CORPORATE TAX – September 21
> Association Rules
- What the rules say.
- Implications of companies being associated, advantages and disadvantages.
- Some planning ideas.
> Safe Income
- What the rules say on inter-company dividends.
- What is safe income.
- When do you need to calculate this.
Session 3: COMMON MISTAKES - October 12
> The Top 10 most common mistakes
- ERDTOH / NERDTOH.
- Capital dividend account.
- Share redemptions.
- Part IV tax.
- Loss denial rules.
- Surplus strips.
- Rollovers and gifting.
- ACB averaging.
- Non-deductible interest.
- Terminal loss on buildings.
Session 4: PERSONAL TAX – October 26
> Principal Residence
- What the rules say.
- Change in use rules.
- Good and bad strategies.
> Keeping Trusts Tidy
- Avoiding mistakes in managing a trust.
- What documentation do you need.
> Foreign Inheritance
- What happens when you receive a foreign inheritance.
- What is income, what is tax-free and what is the tax cost of property received.
Session 5: TAXATION AT DEATH - November 9
> Review of special rules for taxation at death
- The basic rules.
- Issues in completing the final tax return.
- Post-mortem tax planning strategies.
- Reading and interpreting a Will.
- Organizing the estate.
- Life insurance.
Session 6: OWNER–MANAGER I – November 23
> Basic Rules
- Integration and salary / dividend mix.
- Overview of issues (small business deduction, passive income, ERDTOH / NERDTOH, personal services business, tax deferral, TOSI rules).
- Mini case studies.
Session 7: OWNER–MANAGER II – November 30
> Further Topics
- Capital gains strips, what to do and not do.
- Debit balances, shareholder loans and repayments.
- Holding companies, are they worth it.
- Reorganizing group structures
- Effective income splitting plans
Session 8: MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS – December 14
> U.S. Tax, Some Basics
- Completing a W-8.
- When do you need to file a tax return.
- Sale of U.S. property.
> Capital Gains Exemption
- Review of the rules.
- Common problems and some possible solutions.
- How to plan effectively.
Note: We will add other topics as circumstances warrant (e.g. if there is a Federal Budget)
- Virtual seminar series by Zoom
- 8 Sessions, 90 minutes pre-recorded, 20 minutes live questions, around 110 minutes each in all
- Detailed slides with notes sent in advance
- Focus on current topics of interest
- Posted on website for later review
- CPD accredited, certificate provided, 16 hours of verified CPD including 1 hour of ethics
- Access to our Seminars Archive , Calculation Programs and TOSI Central
- Zoom watch/listen mode
- Questions by dedicated e-mail address or chat function
- Access via laptop, tablet or mobile phone
Broadcast and live question date
||Wednesday, September 7, 2022|
||Wednesday, September 21, 2022|
||Wednesday, October 12, 2022|
||Wednesday, October 26, 2022|
||Wednesday, November 9, 2022|
||Wednesday, November 23, 2022|
||Wednesday, November 30, 2022|
||Wednesday, December 14, 2022|
All sessions run from 9:00 am to 10:30 am
$450 + HST per person
Registration fee includes:
- 8 webinars and Q/A sessions
- Slides and notes
- Access to recordings of webinars
- Access to our calculation programs, seminar archive and TOSI Central
- Certificate for CPD